History of the Church

Saint Paul was founded in November 1955, meeting in local elementary schools before building its first sanctuary two years later in what was then the new Sharpstown subdivision.

As the neighborhood quickly grew, so did the church, calling its first pastor, the late Rev. Thomas Currie. The church continued its growth as Southwest Houston mushroomed throughout the 1960s and ‘70s. In 1978, a new sanctuary was built closer to the corner at Bellaire Boulevard and the Southwest Freeway (U.S. 59). The original sanctuary became a fellowship hall and in 1995 was renamed Currie Hall after Dr. Currie and his wife.

In 2017, Saint Paul moved from its Bellaire Boulevard location to a temporary space at 7734 Mary Bates Blvd., Building A, next to a Buddhist temple. We are making plans to build a new church in the Highway 6 area of West Houston.

Today Saint Paul is a diverse congregation of African members and longtime Sharpstown and southwest Houston residents. The diversity shows in worship styles and music but remains rooted in historical truths about our faith.